They're really very common in the UK. They used to build them back in the Victorian era when canals were the major way of shifting manufactured goods. Some of them are still in regular use today. See here.
Hi A Lady's Life .. fascinating engineering project love it - and thanks to Morning AJ for sending us over to the link at Waterscape on the British canal system
Engineering of huge projects has occurred throughout time immemorial .. but this post is great to read about .. thank you - cheers Hilary
I am 19 in blog years
-
* It's true. This blog, rhymeswithplague, sprang to life on September 28,
2007, making it/me 19 in blog years today. HAPPY 19 BLOG YEARS TO ME, H...
Sophie's Journey - Chapter 35 - Only a Mother
-
Sophie's Journey - Chapter 35
Only a Mother
The Wyoming high desert was sharp and empty. The horizon always seemed
farther away at every step. The ...
Jientje is back in Town
-
Some of you might remember me, I'm Jientje. To others, I may be a new face
in this blogging world. Nice to meet YOU 😊
To all readers, old friends, and ...
Knitted Glass ... Lost-Wax Casting ...
-
Archaeology is an amazing discipline … we are learning so much about past
lives … and while I was looking into the lost-wax casting method, via the
br...
HODGEPODGE DECEMBER 18
-
1. What's one thing on your to-do list that you want to get done, need to
get done, or that must get done before the year ends?
*Youpee, my "To do li...
The News of Our Lives
-
The realization hit me in a moment yesterday during our Saturday lunch at
our local Grille: it was the 62nd anniversary of President Kennedy's
assassinatio...
BUCKINGHAM PALACE
-
I had half a day in London and had ordered an entrance ticket to the
Buckingham Palace, where I could visit the State rooms but also the Queens
clothes.
...
Still I Weep
-
Most times she is overlooked. Appearing to blend in. That bold Oak, often
taking center attraction, even when there is a unique Japanese maple… Not
to me...
Tightrope or tight rope? NM
-
“One must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control
he must exert” Or otherwise just hanging from the rope by a thin thread. I
don’t...
-
*Welcome to Fifi’s Portfolio Gallery... *
Featuring WHIMSY and FUN with a Parisian flair... beautiful things that
surround Fifi's daily life are what insp...
Too hor for Ol' Hook
-
It's been hellaciously hot. I only when outside to walk them early this
morning, and by the end of the journey, they were weary,
I'm going to go to my pri...
Soup, Bibles, & Blankets
-
(originally published December 2006) For a brief time in my life, I had the
incredible privilege of living in the small custodial apartment of a
downtown L...
Baking Sourdough Bread!
-
I'm back! Now, on to baking sourdough bread. There are a lot of different
ways to do this. Different amounts of starter to use, different flours,
differ...
Changing Your Vantage Point
-
Sometimes the only way to change our perspective is to take a few steps in
a different direction. We could stand and look at what we see, from our
current ...
Cat men
-
This post also appeared on Facebook
We’ve recently seen the film Bohemian Rhapsody and since then Freddie
Mercury and Brian May seem to be cropping up all ...
The More of Me Culture
-
As I travel through the streets of Washington DC, it saddens me that the
transformation has grown exponentially. I'm reminded of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Things...
The Hospice Journey
-
Hello everyone,
After starting the care of Hospice I quickly settled into their routine and
structure. My nurse whose name is Angel is just that-warm, swe...
2018 week 36: Fantoche
-
This year I finally made it to a couple of screenings during Fantoche! Both
were a collections of shorts, one was a session of the international
competi...
OneWord 2018
-
Wayyy back, in 2011, I joined the OneWord movement. My collection of
OneWords has been:
2011 *Joy*
2012 *Joy (again...hmm)*
2013 *Enough*
2014 *Impatience*...
Poulbot's children
-
Three postcards illustrated by Francisque Poulbot for the “Ligue National
contre le Taudis” (League against squalor) which came into being in 1927.
Her...
Twelve Months
-
I can't believe it's almost 12 months since I posted anything on my blog!
I confess I've been spending a lot of time on Facebook - I know you think
I'm a t...
-
Subscribe to our newsletter
Have you got your Blog listed here yet ?
*NEW *
*We will now be including your personal Fine Art Photography/Digital Blog...
Hiking to the end of the line...
-
Our group met at the Haymarket Memorial this morning to begin our walk. I
think it was a first for me that a trail head was in a cemetery, but this
seemed...
St. John's Basilica, Des Moines, Iowa
-
This past week I came across a large Catholic church I did not know existed
in Des Moines. I am not sure how I missed it all these years but somehow I
had...
Three Stars Above the Clouds
-
Three Michelin star chef and his team. Crisp white tablecloths. Original
designed plateware. Beautiful, intricate presentations. Garnishes
delicately...
I'm still here!
-
Hello my fellow kindred spirits! I just wanted to let you know that I am
still here and kicking. You may not see me blogging much, but I'm still
creating a...
Unraveling Words: July Recap!
-
Unraveling Words: July Recap!: Gawd! We are already in August! Next thing
you know I'll be writing the end of the year post. Books Read: (26) ...
Wow, all...
Jamaica
-
The first and most significant fact I learned about Jamaica can be summed
up with the words “No problem”. I was introduced to this important concept
as ...
ToppyToppy
-
ToppyToppy began knitting over forty years ago and decided to turn a hobby
into a business
on January 27, 2011. Her inspiration was always her mother,
who...
Happy Thanksgiving.
-
May you, and those you love,
have a most wonderful Thanksgiving Day.
May you continue in your thanks,
by living in *Thanksgiving Daily,*
and cultivating an ...
I Want THIS!
-
I've always wanted to live on a farm...
with beautiful fruit trees,
and gardens filled with produce.
I would like a few goats and a cow to milk,
and I wa...
URGENT HELP NEEDED!
-
* UPDATE - Only $190 more is needed To Save Annie! ** PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! **Your
$2 or $3 could make the difference! *
* I'm posting a plea for help. *
*I ...
This is for you
-
I have the best faraway friends in the world! Thank you :)
Now, a bit of bragging related to what I've been doing lately... a new
issue of an Australi...
Embarcadero Fireworks
-
A mad fireworks show taken from Treasure Island. Yes, we know its July, but
really, who doesn't love a fireworks show? This was New Year's and that's
the S...
A NEW BLOG HAS ARRIVED!
-
THIS BLOG HAS COME TO AN END AND A NEW ONE HAS ARRIVED: *BLOGTROTTER TWO*
(NOT MUCH IMAGINATION...)!
The blog that now comes to an end was created to show ...
On What Absence Does to the Heart
-
I'm back in Phnom Penh.But not for long, and, most likely, never to return.
India was so much; it held so many different things: it was a gift; and the
day...
4 comments:
How very interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a water bridge before.
neither have I george lol
They're really very common in the UK. They used to build them back in the Victorian era when canals were the major way of shifting manufactured goods. Some of them are still in regular use today.
See here.
Hi A Lady's Life .. fascinating engineering project love it - and thanks to Morning AJ for sending us over to the link at Waterscape on the British canal system
Engineering of huge projects has occurred throughout time immemorial .. but this post is great to read about .. thank you - cheers Hilary
Post a Comment