Thursday, September 8, 2011

lollypop


I was blown away and laughing like a school girl, when my son came home and offered me this huge lollypop.

My mind went back in time to clowns and circus events that came to town.
I truly relished the taste of cotton candy and the sticky crunchy feel of these huge lollypops between my teeth.

I think everyone can relate to those days and to the days we Moms also tried our hand at making such things for our kids especially
Candy canes for Christmas trees and such.

As usual , I began to read the ingredients on the label.
It said made in China and then I came across
titanium dioxide.

My heart fell.

http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html

I looked it up and found it to be a cancer causing carcinogen found in many of the products we use every day .

"It is widely used to provide whiteness and opacity to products such as paints, plastics, papers, inks, foods, and toothpastes. It is also used in cosmetic and skin care products, and it is present in almost every sunblock, where it helps protect the skin from ultraviolet light."

It is found in dust in places of employment.

In and of itself in small amounts it should be fine but when combined with everything else we use
daily........... well.........

So up I went to tell my son not to eat lollypops unless I make them at home with natural food coloring. He could not believe it and it became a learning experience for him.

I thanked him for the lovely thought.
But now this gorgeous Pop is going into the garbage.

:(

Now I will go and design my own from this
site:
http://sugarbombbakeryblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/bunny-lollipops-for-spring/

I think we never grow out of eating our pops. :)


Have a great day!

No comments: