Friday, November 18, 2011

Try Cooking Day.

I really do not like cooking.
I like eating but I can do without pots and pans to scrub.
Although every one volunteers to eat, no one volunteers to clean up and if they cook, well the disasters around the counters and stove they leave behind is enough to make you want to cry.

I look at peoples homes and always wonder how they live in their spotless kitchens.
And why do you need a modern kitchen if it is only for show?

I know many people have two kitchens, one for show and one for the actual messy cooking of sauces, frying, baking.
I personally would love a kitchen outside on the patio which can be hosed down daily down a drain into the sewer. This would be my ideal kitchen and it could also have a franklin stove or a wood fire place which could be used to make excellent pizza.
I so seldom make blintze's or potato latkes or cheese knishes.
but once in a while I get into the mood and go all out.

We used to have excellent Jewish bakeries on St Lawrence street and the cooking was to die for.
The bagels were the best in the world and once you get used to the best, its hard to go to Safeway or the Superstore and buy bagels which except for the doughnut shape, do not taste like what bagels should.
In College I had a job working at a Jewish Senior Citizens Home.
The cook ,was an older woman and a very generous one at that.
She made the best food for these somewhat particular people.
Sometimes I felt sorry for her because she had varicose veins causing her a lot of pain and eventually she had to stop working but her food????????

How can any one live without cheese knishes the way she made them, I don't know. lol

Then in Miami, we found a place called Rascals, which also had the best seafood breakfast anyone could want, along with bagels and lox.
Each table also got a basket full of different baked goods which you could not eat after the big breakfast, so you took it home.
Needless to say, the place was always full and at times there would be lineup going round the block, mostly old people.
Can you imagine old people, standing in line ups?
It had to be worth it although there was nothing fancy about the place.

At lunch they served home made turkey legs with boiled potatoes and veggies. The turkey leg was big and at that time, one plate cost $ 5.00 US. So an old couple shared one plate between them since they do not eat much, plus they took home the basket of baked buns with them for later.
The public at that time was not children friendly, so when we came in with our son they would make faces as if to say Oh my God! Noise. lol

We got our son a space gun.
When you shot it, it made a noise like someone blowing bubbles into a glass, through a straw.

We were sitting eating and my son took out his gun and pushed the trigger. It kept going and going and going until the whole restaurant stopped and began looking at our table.
It made us feel uncomfortable to see every one stop eating and looking like that but then they burst out laughing.
One man explained that they thought my son was blowing bubbles into a glass and when he didn't stop, they wondered where he got his air? lol
That space gun became a popular item in that restaurant as everyone wanted to have a look at it.
They were amazed at what they made for kids and probably would be looking to buy something like it for their grandchildren. lol
So ....people who didn't like kids....began to like kids again lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Potato Plus Latkes
  • 1 pound potatoes
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Latkes-104406#ixzz1e6OkWyib

To mine I added garlic , white pepper, shredded cheese of choice, 1 carrot and a cup of flour.

I spooned mine into an olive oil greased pyrex tray and placed them into the oven at 400 degrees and baked till slightly browned.
They turned out great!

-----------------------------------------------
Spinach Mushroom Potato Soup

Today I took out a small can of mushroom soup. I put it into a medium sized pot of boiling water to which I added some chicken broth.

I used an electric chopper to puree more fresh mushrooms, spinach, small tomato and 5 cold medium boiled potatoes.
I put it on medium heat and stirred it. Then I chopped some shallots and added them also to the pot along with a few spoons of sour creme.

Salt garlic and pepper seasonings to taste
and the soup tastes fantastic.
Almost like a hot vichyssoise,
except it's NOT. lol

The reason I made it all puree is because it is soo good to come inside from the cold and drink a nice, hot, cup of soup. For the kids it's better than a snack with all the vegetables you may want to put into it.

It's the best way to make kids eat spinach
without knowing it.
---------------------------------------------------------
Now what's this about Pizza not being healthy food?

Pizza is very healthy. You do not need a thick crust and it is full of onions, green peppers, any kind of meat, be it chicken, minced beef, pork, tomatoes, mushrooms,ham, cheese etc....
You name it , you can put on pizza. It can be all vegetarian if it needs to be.

Kids need cheese for their bones and teeth especially if their diet is not good at home.
I think Pizza is a very healthy meal for school lunches

Yes!! for pizza at school.

Well the dishwasher is packed after washing everything by hand and I am not cooking anymore stuff today. lol

Have a Great Day!



8 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

There are definitely worse school lunches than pizza!

BlueShell said...

My kitchen is alwaays a big mess...LOL
It was very funny thr episod of the space gun. I can just imagine...LOL

Thenk you ...I'm going to try...and eat it!!! Besause I like to eat...

BShell

Akelamalu said...

Some great memories there!

A Lady's Life said...

So true Mama Zen, like hot dogs.

A Lady's Life said...

lol thanks blue shell

A Lady's Life said...

akelamalu - yes kids do funny things and I pity people who don't like kids.They miss out on a lot.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

One spcae gun makes all men kin! And I'm blaming my next five-pound gain on you!!!

A Lady's Life said...

lol Diane Well blogs get me fat too lol People do such great things.