Sunday, February 26, 2012

Out Door Candle


I closed the door and it was so to stay
closed, so I would not see .
I locked the door to only look outside
Through a stained glass window
Shadowing the normal light

Outside a candle glimmered in the blue night sky
So quiet , peaceful it
Welcomed me outside
But here I stayed behind the door
Beside a warm, crackling apple tree.

Curled beside the fire in the hearth,
I was covered by a knitted shawl
Suited for cold winter nights.
Outside the air was fresh and cool and
My eyes stayed glued, like a moth to light

Hypnotic, mystic, it absorbed my lonely heart
It pulled for me forth, this candle of the night
I was a stranger, lost within thick dark walls
bursting to be free, from behind closed doors

The wind began to howl between the trees
Competing with a pack of wolves
Roaming wild and free .
The blowing snow caressed their fur and
Squinting eyes while
I sang a long sad song of life, inside

They heard it from outside the closed locked door
Bewildered, I heard them howling like before
The wolves joined in with the wind and me
Each sang their song in reverie.

Yet I was the one who sat inside,
A stranger, lost within warm walls
Fearing the welcoming candle
of the world outside


A Lady's Life.

6 comments:

Russell said...

My goodness ... that is VERY good. Wow!

You are very, very good. Are you a published author?? If not, why not?!

You definitely have a way with words (understatement). I love this poem. Extremely good. Very visual.

Wow, wow, wow .... wow.

A Lady's Life said...

You are way too kind Russell.
No, I wouldn't know how to go about getting published.
Maybe one day.

Lydia Kang said...

Lovely, thank you for posting this. I think this would resonate with a lot of people.
:)

A Lady's Life said...

Thanks Lydia

SandyCarlson said...

So nice.

George said...

I really like this. You are a wonderful writer.