Thursday, March 26, 2009

Enlightend Roaches.


Enlightened Roaches.

Dominick Dunne:

"Most of us spend too much time on the last twenty four hours
and too little on the last six thousand years."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had never seen a cockroach as a child. In fact, I don’t know why they are called cockroaches
since they come from the latin word
“blatta” , meaning as we know it today, cockroach.
There’s about 4000 different kinds and they don’t usually grow over 3 inches.

The first time I laid eyes on one was in Florida, on a palm tree.

This HUMUNGOUS golden brown beauty, just sat there, glorifying its gorgeousness for the world to see and it was over three inches long.
(I SWEAR)

I HAD to ask a local what this beautiful bug was. So I did.
The look I got for this question was like: “Are you insane?” and then he answered:
“It’s a cockroach.” My face must have shown how shocked I was at learning this.
To this day, I have never again seen one like it ....ANYWHERE.

I kept thinking to myself how could people have such things in their homes?

Our first newly wed apartment, was in a brand new building.
It wasn’t long before I saw bugs coming out of my bathroom sink.

I caught one in a jar and plugged up all the sinks and bathtubs and took it to the janitor,
who became increasingly alarmed because
he found them in his apartment as well.
Both our apartments were 2 floors and in between us was a small one bedroom flat.
And so began the story…….

The Janitor opened the door to that flat and was appalled to find it literally covered
from top to bottom with roaches.
He almost cried.

They were everywhere!
It was a major ordeal getting them out of the building

but ………this was how I was introduced to Buddhism. lol

The couple who rented this flat were Oriental and Buddhists, who don’t kill bugs.

We often wonder, even today, how they slept?
It was Ironic in that “The Buddha” is otherwise known as

“The Awakened One”.lol

There are around 500,000 Buddhists today who believe every living thing has it’s place and reason for being and it must be respected as all nature, so it doesn’t revolt.
Buddhism exists now for over 2,500 years.

Buddhists believe, anyone following the Buddha, can have spiritual enlightenment or awakening and become like him.

If any one ever rubbed a Buddhas belly, he would know that there is some truth to that belief. lol

The Eightfold Path teaches how to stop suffering life and learning to live it.

The Four Noble Truths teach the path that must be taken to reach Enlightenment.

I truly only began to understand all this, once I accidentally found an Enormous Buddha, sitting in a mountain, in Malaysia, in the middle of no where..... in ABSOLUTE PEACE AND QUIET.

It blew my mind.

And all this ……….because of Cockroaches…….. truly Enlightened Creatures, having lived for over 350 million years on this planet.

1 comment:

A Lady's Life said...

LOL you are funny but your are right.
But in this case I don't think a small flat with a 100,000 roaches is something pleasant. I am sure they will crawl all over you at night. They were in everything. lol
And the building was brand new so this was so disheartening someone would actually breed cockroaches.
But the first one I saw was gorgeous!!! he was about 5 inches long and I'm not kidding.
Thanks Peter :)