We see Killer Whales around the Vancouver and Victoria Island area.
They travel in pods and it is quite possible to view them from the ferry boat crossing the Channel
We also saw them in waters between White Rock and Point Roberts along with seals in the marina
by the US border.
I remember when my son was 2 years old we were on the boat and the ocean looked silky soft, so inviting, calm before the storm.
I couldn't help but think, I have to take a dip. So I jumped over board.
As soon as I did, my 2 year old, wanted to save me and jumped in right after me.
Thank fully he had his life jacket on because he didn't know how to swim and although he was just a foot away from my grasp, I couldn't reach him fast enough, as he lay face under water. Sudden panic seized me as I tried to turn him over but he wasn't the least bit afraid. It spoiled my swim because all I could think of was to get him back into the boat which he didn't want to do without me. lol Dread filled me to the tip of my toes which felt leaden now thinking about what would have happened if he slipped out of the life jacket.
All I could think was that the water must be 400 feet deep there.
We started the motor to head for home, thankful nothing bad happened, when we came upon a boat in distress who told us they stopped to watch the whales and now their gears were torn.
So now we learned, we were also swimming with the whales and could have been fish bait. lol
As we threw them a line to pull them to the marina, a storm hit us and the waves grew to be 5 feet over the side of our boat.
The boat we had to pull was an older model and twice the size of ours, so we had to go very slow, all the while afraid of the repercussions if the rope broke or if what it was tied to, tore off. It could go bad all around.
That alone could have killed any one of us.
My oldest sons' eyes grew huge watching the waves around us.
We had an 18 foot Maxum boat and I have to say I was quite impressed with it.
It is not recommended to cross the ocean channel with any boat under 21 feet though, so we always stayed close to the shoreline by White Rock.
It took us a long time to struggle through the waves.
Other boats came to ask us if we needed help and stayed with us to help break the waves.
As we neared the marina, we also ran out of gas. Two and a half hours of pulling, for what otherwise would have been maybe a 5 minute ride, ate maybe 100 dollars worth of gas. So now two boats were stranded and heading for a rocky shore.
The little fishing boats surrounded us and asked how they could help. We said we needed gas.
They were surprised but one fellow poured in a gallon to get us to the marina.
Needless to say, we were never so happy as to reach it that day. The other boat also had an older couple with older children in it. They were equally frightened to lose their boat and maybe face drowning in the high waves. One can't imagine how high waves could suddenly become, even in an inlet.
It was quite an exciting and very memorable day. Just thinking about these whales beside us
when my son jumped over, gave me the willies. lol The whole thing still gives me the willies because no matter how prepared you are, you are never prepared when bad things happen.
In videos
one has only to watch these Killer Whales hunt in pods, to understand how powerful and smart they really are.
To see them so gentle with their trainers in this video, makes them exceptional creatures although
like any wild, powerful creature, you always have risks entertaining and being entertained by them.
This is a great show, I believe taking place in San Diego.
Quite enjoyable to watch.
A very amazing and exciting story. About animals: I have a few I an very fond of. The cows, the eagles and the whales. When we were living in Mauritania, we could watch the whales from the beach. On TV, I must have seen hundreds of shows about whales and I will watch the next thousand one to be shown. Once there was one where a guy jumped into the water, swam towards the huge whale. When he was about 3 meters from the whale, both simply looed at each other. And it seemed to me that there was a kind of tenderness in the whale's eye.
I'd definitely say that was a day! I would have reacted exactly the same as you if I'd had the same experience with my son. and then the towing adventure. Wow! The worst thing that could happen to us if a big storm came up on the prairie was to get soaked! :)
Petty - I still have shudders. I can't even imagine losing a baby like this, right from under your nose.And especially me with my over protective nature.The one time I decided to have a minute to enjoy a few minutes and let my guard down this bad thing could have happened. Most of my life my job was to be a guard dog not just watching my kids but every one elses kids and adults who I thought needed looking over.lol Now everything is different. Life eh?
Jientje is back in Town
-
Some of you might remember me, I'm Jientje. To others, I may be a new face
in this blogging world. Nice to meet YOU 😊
To all readers, old friends, and ...
Knitted Glass ... Lost-Wax Casting ...
-
Archaeology is an amazing discipline … we are learning so much about past
lives … and while I was looking into the lost-wax casting method, via the
br...
HODGEPODGE DECEMBER 18
-
1. What's one thing on your to-do list that you want to get done, need to
get done, or that must get done before the year ends?
*Youpee, my "To do li...
The News of Our Lives
-
The realization hit me in a moment yesterday during our Saturday lunch at
our local Grille: it was the 62nd anniversary of President Kennedy's
assassinatio...
BUCKINGHAM PALACE
-
I had half a day in London and had ordered an entrance ticket to the
Buckingham Palace, where I could visit the State rooms but also the Queens
clothes.
...
Soup, Bibles, & Blankets
-
(originally published December 2006) For a brief time in my life, I had the
incredible privilege of living in the small custodial apartment of a
downtown L...
Baking Sourdough Bread!
-
I'm back! Now, on to baking sourdough bread. There are a lot of different
ways to do this. Different amounts of starter to use, different flours,
differ...
Cat men
-
This post also appeared on Facebook
We’ve recently seen the film Bohemian Rhapsody and since then Freddie
Mercury and Brian May seem to be cropping up all ...
2018 week 36: Fantoche
-
This year I finally made it to a couple of screenings during Fantoche! Both
were a collections of shorts, one was a session of the international
competi...
OneWord 2018
-
Wayyy back, in 2011, I joined the OneWord movement. My collection of
OneWords has been:
2011 *Joy*
2012 *Joy (again...hmm)*
2013 *Enough*
2014 *Impatience*...
-
Subscribe to our newsletter
Have you got your Blog listed here yet ?
*NEW *
*We will now be including your personal Fine Art Photography/Digital Blog...
St. John's Basilica, Des Moines, Iowa
-
This past week I came across a large Catholic church I did not know existed
in Des Moines. I am not sure how I missed it all these years but somehow I
had...
Unraveling Words: July Recap!
-
Unraveling Words: July Recap!: Gawd! We are already in August! Next thing
you know I'll be writing the end of the year post. Books Read: (26) ...
Wow, all...
Jamaica
-
The first and most significant fact I learned about Jamaica can be summed
up with the words “No problem”. I was introduced to this important concept
as ...
Happy Thanksgiving.
-
May you, and those you love,
have a most wonderful Thanksgiving Day.
May you continue in your thanks,
by living in *Thanksgiving Daily,*
and cultivating an ...
I Want THIS!
-
I've always wanted to live on a farm...
with beautiful fruit trees,
and gardens filled with produce.
I would like a few goats and a cow to milk,
and I wa...
URGENT HELP NEEDED!
-
* UPDATE - Only $190 more is needed To Save Annie! ** PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! **Your
$2 or $3 could make the difference! *
* I'm posting a plea for help. *
*I ...
This is for you
-
I have the best faraway friends in the world! Thank you :)
Now, a bit of bragging related to what I've been doing lately... a new
issue of an Australi...
Embarcadero Fireworks
-
A mad fireworks show taken from Treasure Island. Yes, we know its July, but
really, who doesn't love a fireworks show? This was New Year's and that's
the S...
10 comments:
A very amazing and exciting story. About animals: I have a few I an very fond of. The cows, the eagles and the whales. When we were living in Mauritania, we could watch the whales from the beach. On TV, I must have seen hundreds of shows about whales and I will watch the next thousand one to be shown. Once there was one where a guy jumped into the water, swam towards the huge whale. When he was about 3 meters from the whale, both simply looed at each other. And it seemed to me that there was a kind of tenderness in the whale's eye.
This story gave me the shivers! Things can go bad so quickly on a boat.
Mama Zen - When things go bad, they always go bad quickly lol
Peter they are wonderful creatures
This is an amazing post. I'll bet it was a great day.
Great post! Glad your son was okay! :)
I'd definitely say that was a day! I would have reacted exactly the same as you if I'd had the same experience with my son. and then the towing adventure. Wow! The worst thing that could happen to us if a big storm came up on the prairie was to get soaked! :)
That was quiet an adventure !!
Glad that all ended well. That heart-stopping moment must have felt like an eternity.
Petty - I still have shudders.
I can't even imagine losing a baby like this, right from under your nose.And especially me with my over protective nature.The one time I decided to have a minute to enjoy a few minutes and let my guard down this bad thing could have happened.
Most of my life my job was to be a guard dog not just watching my kids but every one elses kids and adults who I thought needed looking over.lol
Now everything is different. Life eh?
Post a Comment