Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Alder Tree

 
I used to get angry at all the rubbish these trees throw into my yard and roof.
They don't belong to me and is more of a nuisance
The Alder trees are very tall and emit sticky substances which damage your car, not to mention what they do to your roof.
We have to get people to scrub the roof, displacing tiles which then leads to water
rushing into the ceilings and destroying the ceiling before you can fix it.
The animals come because of the seeds and convenience of these trees hovering over your roof and the seeds
from each of these thousands of pods is mind blowing.

Having said all the bad things about this tree I have to say this is an amazing tree.
The roots are deep. It lives in clay soil. It's used to curb erosion.
Can survive in lime, acidic and dry climates.
The leaves and bark of this tree are used for many things
scabies, skin lesions, gum problems, as a throat gargle, against cancer, rheumatism, anti inflammatory.,  as a natural pesticide
It is a goldmine with respect to its assets and no one knows about it.
The tree itself lives 150 years.
Spinning wheels are made out of it. It is naturally pliable.Fishermen used it to make nets.
I can go on and on about this particular tree.
Of course I would much rather it lived somewhere else than next door. lol

I am so happy to have read up on it and finally finding out about this gift of nature
which thrives right next door, beckoning me to learn about it to love it.

Looking at these fluffy cat tail pods I wonder if they can be used
as the cotton on them seems it can be spun into thread.
Maybe this is what was used to make  nets out of.
Wow!
Live and Learn. :)
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

6 comments:

George said...

I didn't know all of this about alder trees -- fascinating information. But I think I'm glad we don't have any next to us.

A Lady's Life said...

George - Alder trees are fascinating but they belong in the forest and homes should not be built beside them.
Or if they are the trees should be trimmed. It doesn't hurt them.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi A Lady's Life - trees nurture so much and were the first harbingers of life on earth .. they probably need a tree surgeon to give them a good prune ... we let so much loose into the air .. Nurture Nature I say.

Fascinating information about the Alder .. loved it .. cheers Hilary

A Lady's Life said...

THANKS HILARY

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Everything you've mentioned is news to me! Thank you! I feel a little smarter!!! :)

A Lady's Life said...

Diane its all news to me too lol