Friday, February 20, 2015

Miltons World



















We have no snow up in the ski slopes.
Most of the ski mountains are closed for the season.
We look across at the US and marvel as usual at Mt Baker
 which is packed with snow.

 Here in BC flowers are growing and I am looking at planting
more seeds sooner than later.
 Reading up on things I found out how to tell what kind of soil
you have in your back yard.
You pick up some soil and press it in your hand.
 If it falls apart very easily it's sand.
 If it clumps, it's clay and if it's soft and crumbly, it's loam.
Knowing this, you can determine what kind of plants will
 survive in the type of soil you have.
 Now I know how farmers can determine if their soil is good for the crops
they want to plant. I dont know why they smell the soil though.
I looked it up and they said the way to test soil the best way you can
at home is to:

Quick & Dirty Method:
This won’t give you a specific reading, but it can give you an idea whether or not it’s acidic or alkaline.
  • Vinegar: Take a sample of dry dirt (about 1/4 cup), mix with distilled water to make a liquid “mud” and then start pouring household vinegar over top. If the mixture fizzes, it’s alkaline.
  • Baking soda: Mix dry dirt and distilled water as above then start sprinkling baking soda over top. If the mixture bubbles, it’s acidic.
If neither test produces a reaction, you have fairly neutral soil.


 I also found out things about wild rice and why maybe it's healthier
 to eat that than normal rice, which seems to contain lead.
Not many eat it and it's grown in the wild, so no chemicals in it.

 I learned how to make fish nets which can be used for so many
 things from hammocks, to carrying nets, to traps for birds and animals
 you may need in the wild for food, to containers you can hang food from
 high branches in trees.

One link I found made it so easy and without special tools.

 I learned how to make glue from tree resin and ash to seal things and
 how to make water proof baskets from tree bark using things from nature.

 I learned how to use the little dipper to find my bearings in the woods
 if ever I am without a compass.
 I learned many ways of starting a fire in the woods to keep warm and how
to make a shelter from the rain that is also soft to lie on.

 I learned how to use roots to make string.

 I love the idea of using the pop can ring tops (which you push up to open cans)
 to put on clothes hanger hooks so that you have an extra place to hang
 another hanger on for shirts, which result in space saving.
They can be collected, use very little space and when you need a ring,
they are there to help you.

So much to learn, it makes me want to go out and try living outdoors more.

What a great life to live in such peace with the little critters that inhabit
forests and spend so much time collecting  food.

I learned buffalo are needed because they carry seeds in their fur and transplant
them into different areas. Not good to kill buffalo.

Hides of elk are cleaned of fat and then warm water is put on them and they are folded
away for a few days and when they are opened, the skin is soft without tanning.

How interesting life is and how much is lost as the old ones pass away.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

3 comments:

Gattina said...

I wished winter would go and spring move in !

A Lady's Life said...

Gattina I like changes in seasons.
You know winter kills bugs that eat trees. If it was not for winter, we would lose all our trees to bugs.
If you dig under a bit it always stays - 4. The animals like that and can survive under there with this temperature, when above it's - 50.

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Happy Sunday beautiful friend.
It's been very cold here, to include lots of snow. But then again, we are so spoiled. We often frown if it rains, let alone when it snows. Aside from myself of course, You know me...I count it all #joy!

I love you!
I would love it if you sent me your address so that I can send you a letter or two :-)
prayer.request2010@yahoo.com

Prayers and a big warm hug!
xoxoxoxox